Towards the end of the 20th century, human rights groups became subjected to the same expectations donors have of development agencies: to develop NGO management capacity and organisational action plans. I am a fan of transparency, accountability and clearcut strategies - but it's getting ridiculous. Everything needs a proposal!
It becomes difficult to respond to emerging situations that need urgent consideration (such as the food crisis throughout Asia and the havoc caused by cyclone Nargis in Burma) in an efficient and timely manner because it takes ages to draft up strategies in line with organisational objectives. And then you gotta go get approval from about 10 different idiots.
I blame donors and the conditionalities that come with funding. I blame external consultants that are recommended by donors to help corporatise NGOs in the name of efficiency. All that happens is that they introduce a bureaucratic system of reporting that impedes upon our work.
Mostly, I blame us human rights defenders for allowing our work to become donor driven.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What are the alternatives?
Post a Comment