Well, shit, I thought there was a global consensus about the destructive effects of food aid. I don't really give a shit about the hundreds of millions of dollars pledged by the US and other UN member states - what I really want to know is how the ass they are going to get that food to vulnerable groups such as indigenous peoples, Dalits, rural poor, ethnic minorities, etc. I think it is fitting that The Economist referred to it as "the silent tsunami" because it's the same shit all over again - the global North is going to pledge a truckload of cash, it's going to come here and it won't go to where it is supposed to go. Furthermore, it is not going to solve the fact that the biofuel industry aren't going to stop their practices or that agricultural land is being used for power plants.
And I don't understand this:
"We're sending a clear message to the world that America will lead the fight against hunger for years to come," said Mr Bush.
I don't understand this Crusadist language where everything becomes a war and it is the moral obligation of one part of the world to conquer and overcome and free us heathen minions from the shackles of hunger and deprivation. Listen, you asshole, you got us here in the first place!!! As far as I am concerned, that $770 million that is coming back to the global South is the money that was stolen from us in the first place in the form of servitude and bonded labour! Thankyouverymuch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment