Holy ass! An article about Burma in the Fashion & Style section of the NYT!
I don't know what to think of this video campaign "Burma: It Can't Wait". I do understand the power of celebrity and I am not against celebrities lending their voices to causes. The NYT article quotes Jack Healey of the Human Rights Action Center as saying that you have to add celebrity to the issues as "it's the nature of the business now."
But does it do what it is supposed to do? Does it popularise and mainstream the issue, does it inspire youth to place demands on the authorities and will it bring about the change we so desperately need in this part of the world? Will the rest of the world finally start asking the right questions and understanding what their responsibilities are?
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment