Tuesday, February 27, 2007

7 Days in Chennai

Seven days left in crazy/beautiful Chennai, and so many places left unseen. (I blame Facebook). The 6-day work weeks in India are brutally unfair if you’re a semi-employed tourist type creature using their skillz (pro bono) in order to “give back” to the Motherland.

Here is a list of how I have “given back”, although my Indian passport gives me very little except a tariff-free visit to Bhutan - but, still! I am NRI! I must “give back”!
- This morning I gave the auto-rickshaw driver a piece of my mind when he had the gall to keep my change (the gall!)
- Yesterday, at Elliott’s Beach, I couldn’t find a rubbish bin for my ice cream wrapper. I asked the ice cream man where I could throw it and he said, pointing to the ground, “here, madam”. Thus, my shameful contribution to beach pollution.
- I work for a renewable energy company, yet spend all 11 hours of my workday at the air-conditioned office on the computer, thereby contributing to India’s energy crisis while trying to solve it.

Okay, so, 7 days left and the following selfish things to do (after “giving” so much):
- Shave my hair at Tirupati
- Drink wine in Pondicherry
- Liberate Auroville from the shackles of Colonialism
- Track down one of these mysterious impromptu bush-parties on the ECR (email me)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lead an interesting life! Blog showed up in a Google alert. Could not quite figure out link between Renewable energy and shaving one's head, even though the Air-conditioning mention seemed to connect them all in a cosmic way! I am a renewable energy person too, itching to get back into the field

Unknown said...

Ha, I love that despite seeing you most every day in the same office, you still surprise me with how you paint the experience. ;-)

Yes, the 6-day work weeks are killer for getting out of the city... I can certainly related to that!

Hope to see you sans hair if you go through with it!

P. said...

Bare in mind I did none of these things, but instead spent my final weekend in Chennai drinking with IIT students