Prime Minister Thaksin officially overthrown by the military. Those responsible for the coup are supporters of army chief Gen. Lt. Sonthi who was sacked by Thaksin this morning.
I quite liked Sonthi, he had sound ideas about negotiating with seperatists in the South. He took on a holistic approach, recognising the need for dialogue and sustainable peace. A few weeks ago, he was on the front page of the Bangkok Post with criticisms for Thaksin's government. If I could access the Bangkok Post website I would link the artivle. Alas, these are tough times!
Still cut off from BBC and CNN news channels, I am eager to watch Thaksin address the UN general assembly. Surely, the Thai people should be the first to hear from him and not an inter-governmental council.
In other news, all my Indian friends' parents are already stockpiling on the atta and ghee.
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment