Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Thoughts on Coup 2006

Singapore's benevolent dictator, the legacy of Mahathir, Gloria's flirtation with her own coups, Myanmar's oppressive junta, the Communist Republics of Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Marxist Nepal - welcome to Thailand's 'hood.

Superior in industry, trade and economy compared to most of her neighbours, Thailand was seen by the world as a success story. Even after the recession in 1997, the country slowly and steadily pulled itself out of a heap of IMF loans. But most importantly, Thailand was an example in democracy and good governance. With a history of military takeovers and bloody riots, Thailand managed to put across some form of democracy that kept foreign investors and the international community happy. We can't all be perfect, pluralist states but we can try our best with an effective(-ish) electoral system and a decent constitution. Thailand had a long way to go, but at least it was on its way.

Nevertheless, Thailand stood out for their efforts and because it was least fucked up out of the rest. We do not fear the state as others might. Today, however, is a sad day for Thai politics. Whether this coup lasts 24 hours or 24 days, the point is that it happened. Its a real commentry on the progress of this region and this country in particular. After believing truly, madly, deeply that Thailand would never experience martial law ever again, the army kicked my ass on their way to the government house.

It happened, there is a coup, and I will liveblog my way through it. Due to curfew, I've seen not one single tank, and for this I will forever be bitter. My children will ask me "did you make the cover of Time magazine?" and I will say "no child, I was busy blogging."

No comments: