Sunday, December 07, 2008

Meanwhile, in Canada...

Canada's political situation parallels ours in Thailand to some level.

Slate tells us how:

"A royal appointee shutting down Parliament; national cross-country protests; bloodthirsty accusations of treason and sedition. All the frictions of a new democracy. I hope they work it out in Thailand!

No, welcome to Canadian politics in 2008."

I'd already published the above but then I kept reading shit like The National Post and realised I wasn't done with this post yet:

"The Conservatives seem to have a lock on the spontaneous outbursts of singing the national anthem. Tories have reportedly burst into O Canada at their annual Christmas party on Monday night and again in the middle of a closed-door meeting."

1 comment:

John Bradley said...

I don't even know what is going on here any more. The Govenor General, urged by the Conservatives, suppended parliament until January. Dion stepped down, Bob Rae bowed out, so we now have Ignatieff leading the grits. Canadians are so apathetic when it comes to the politics of their own country. It's so frustrating to hear all the complaints about things changing, I am drifting to apathy myself. Where is our Obama. Somebody needs to get Canadians excited about voting.