Since yesterday, I have developed a crazed obsession with the Weathermen/Weather Underground Organisation. I have spent office hours reading about them and have been hiding in the darkened meeting room to watch the documentaries.
There's a second documentary called Underground which was made in 1976 while the activists were underground. I could only find parts 1 to 6 on youtube, still trying to find the rest. Check out this clip, special attention from the 4th minute onwards.
The argument, then, is that changing political leadership is not enough, what needs to happen is a revolutionary uprooting of the capitalist/imperialist system. I dig it. Replace Vietnam with I-rack, same shit different generation.
I am definitely more radical now as I get older than I was when I was a student, which actually shows how out-of-touch student activism is these days. My obsession with the Weathermen really has nothing to do with the fact that they blow shit up. I support armed struggle in certain cases where the state violently represses legitimate social movements and represses fights for self-determination, specifically in the cases of Burma and Tibet. If they want to take up arms, I would support that.
I find that much of the Weatherman ideology stems from certain discourse of the day which has since evolved or been rejected. For example, their general take on communist third world countries and how they seemingly represent the ideal, their view that those countries have weapons of mass destruction because the US forced them into such a situation, and the way that they believe solidarity with black people means to speak also on behalf of black people - these things I am not so fond of.
But my fascination comes from my general fascination with movements. I am completely in awe of groups of people who come together in solidarity for a common purpose and objective, become consumed by it and commit to it with the core of their being. These are causes they are willing to get beaten, arrested and killed for. Specifically, it is the death of this movement that fascinates me. In the documentaries, you can sense the point at which it began to unravel and consume itself, you get a sense of the frustration of misunderstanding when the movement is ending and this new terrorist identity is being slapped onto them. You get a sense of the angry reluctancy when the activists emerged from the underground and wove themselves into the mainstream, being punished for crimes they believed they were totally right-on about.
I dig it, yo!
Tuesday, October 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Reading this recent post is, well, scary. You better not be hell-bent on some revolution and get yourself killed. When we were in school together, I could never see you doing something so crazy. But that was a while ago, and maybe you've changed a lot since then. After reading your post, it certainly seems like you are a different person.
I think there are much more admirable people you could be looking up to, like Gandhi. I found this review on Amazon, and I think it is worth reading over:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R25U9630FLODNL/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R25U9630FLODNL
I'm sure you won't go get yourself killed, it just doesn't seem like you to be supporting violence and armed conflict. Bloodshed only leads to more bloodshed.
Be well,
Bradley
Ok, the URL looks like it got chomped. Here it is again, in parts:
http://www.amazon.com/review/
R25U9630FLODNL/
ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#
R25U9630FLODNL
Put it all on 1 line and enjoy.
Che is supposed to have said:
Words without action are meaningless.
I think that is being rather generous.
The mere utterance of words, to state our mind and voice our beliefs is in many ways taken as a token of action. It is not.
It simply relieves you of a certain measure of responsibility.
Words without action hinder the action itself, they give the illusion of action, and lead to a false sense of disillusionment regarding ones ability to bring about change. False in that the action was never taken in the first place.
Post a Comment