Sunday, January 21, 2007

Uh, what am I doing here?

I like Chennai. I like that is small and uncertain of its purpose. I like that the rickshaw drivers make it their sole purpose in life to scam me and only me. I like this bizarre community of expatriate software engineers and development workers, each one asking themselves "why am I here, exactly?"

Biju and I, we are kin. Canada to Thailand to India, my life travels backwards. And for what, really? Perhaps I should keep my bags packed always, the quicker to leave unfinished endings.

My relatives wrinkle their noses, "Chennai? But you won't get your food in Chennai. Tell me, why did you leave Canada?" The weather did not suit me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What kind of work are you doing in Madras? Are you working with a local organisation?
I'm from Madras. I don't live there now but I visit every year. I'm always looking for organisations which do meaningful work so I can contribute to them.
Also, if you want any information on Madras, I'd be happy to help out. Good luck.