Sunday, November 19, 2006

Faith-mockery for Dummies


I am currently reading Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. It is mostly a hilarious read, but I have to admit, I find Dawkins to be unbareably obnoxious at times. While I agree with most of his arguments and found the book quite fascinating, I also found parts of it quite flawed. For instance, the lack of insight into Eastern religions and spirituality is brushed aside as he claims he is more comfortable talking about Abrahamic religions. I thought it was more of a cop-out. He is not really the messiah for all atheists around the world, and I am really sick of having conversations about him where he is portrayed as a heathenistic god of sorts.

Having said that, this book made me reflect on my thoughts on God for the first time in years. I am most definitely teetering on that sharp edge between agnosticism and atheism, and since Dawkins has told me I'd be a wimp to call myself an agnostic perhaps I should allow myself to pick a side. However, I suppose my views on god and godliness are not of the "bearded man in the sky" or even "elephant head with four arms" variety anyway.

Anyway, I came across this video clip via TrueBluePrint, watch it here because I don't know how to do that whole thing where you post the thing to this thing, you know?

No comments: