Tuesday, September 19, 2006

State of emergency declared!!

As of a half hour ago, a state of emergency has been declared in Bangkok. Tanks have moved in on the government house, state television and radio has been taken over. Thai tv stations are showing loops of images of the King, reminiscent of images seen on tv back in 1992 during the last coup attempt. Patriotic songs are being played on all radio stations.

I am completely biting my own tongue, all that talk of democracy being consolidated and Thailand having moved past military intervention makes me feel like an idiot. I have to emphasise that earlier on this year, I was impressed and encouraged by the pro-democracy movements that took the streets. For this reason, I don't think this situation will last long, we live in a different world now.

We know very little here right now, BBC and CNN are still referring to it as "something out of the ordinary" and are afraid to label it anything more than a "rumour" and that reports are "unconfirmed." It is just too early to tell.

Certainly, my guess is that a combination of rising conflict in the South amongst Islamist seperatists, Thailand's waning economy and Thaksin's idiocy all have something to do with it.

Will keep posting!

No comments: