It looks like Canadians will be discussing politics at Christmas after all. Arguing health policies over deep-fried turkey and denouncing American imperialism as they unwrap iPods. The beer will be Canadian, of this I am certain.
Just wait, they’ll vote Tory, I know it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am generally quite a fickle and emotional person, easily impressed with liberal rhetoric. Any talk of diversity, equality and justice makes me weep. So it’s no surprise that after reading Michael Ignatieff's speech to the Liberal Convention, I questioned why I ever left Toronto. So impressionable am I!
Okay, so maybe he made anti-Ukrainian comments and perhaps said that sleep-deprivation is an acceptable form of torture in this here age of terror, he assures you it was all taken out of context and we must buy his books to read these chapters in their entirety. But, he is a ridiculously good looking 58-year old. Crazy, but good lookin'. Anyway, here's the speech that made me weep:
"From afar, we're a very special and precious experiment. We're an experiment as to whether a multicultural, multilingual society can survive and prosper…
We are a ray of light in a gloomy world, a ray of hope in a world which is in fact ravaged by intolerance and by hatred. Let's get it right. The world does look to us, the world does ask us, 'get it right, show us how'. Communities of difference, communities of different languages can live together, can forge a unity together. You're doing it in this hall tonight but never forget that we truly are a light unto the nations, and we must never forget that in the daily life of our politics.
Now, there are countries to the south of us that believe in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And these countries that shall remain nameless want to export freedom and democracy to the world. And because we're Canadians, we're skeptics. We don't like rhetoric that's that high flung. We got some doubts about the project. We have doubts about the American dream. Ok. But let's remember that we have a dream. Because we are the people of peace, order, and good government"
O Canada, how I yearn for thee!
Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment